Chronological List

Some brief historical dates for Roslyn & Kaikorai.

  • 1838 - Samual Morse credited with the refinement of the electric telegraph and earlier telegraph codes (1838).
  • 1851 - The Otago Witness newspaper started, continued till 1932.
  • 1857 - Kaikorai Flour and Oatmeal Mill Co. est 1857 near Kaikorai Stream.
  • 1858 - Wakari School opened.
  • 1865 - Dunedin Corporation Tramways - Penny Tokens.
  • 1868 - Kaikorai Presbyterian Church opened.
  • 1869 - Old Linden School opened (later Kaikorai School)
  • 1870 - “The Argyle” hotel opened on the city side of Kaikorai Valley Road between Charlotte Street & Taieri Road.
  • 1870s - Roslyn Institute a venue for Presbyterian, Anglican and Methodist worship services.
  • 1870s - The now 'old' Caversham rail tunnel was created in the early 1870s.
  • 1875 - Halfway Bush Inn (cnr Helenburgh Rd & Taieri Rd) changed hands to W.T.Bunting who had it till 1892. See Coal Yard & other stories.
  • 1877 - Roslyn formed into Borough.
  • 1877 - Ellis & Nicholson making flock in barn in Frasers Glen. Mention in article on Arthur Ellis Ltd.
  • 1877 - Arthur Ellis Ltd founded. 1902 Stones Directory says 'Ellis (E.) and Co (Ephraim & Arthur), flock manufacturers' - Kaikorai Valley Road.
  • 1878 - Roslyn Woollen Mills at Kaikorai started.
  • 1879 - Arthur Ellis Ltd - destroyed by fire.
  • 1879 - Roslyn Woollen Mills opened - taken over 1957?
  • 1881 - Roslyn Cable Car line started 24th Feb 1881 but only went from Rattray Street to the Junction.
  • 1882 - Maori Hill horse drawn trams used from 23rd December 1882 till 1900.
  • 1884 - New (stone) Kaikorai School opened.
  • 1888 - Wakari Football Association first played in the local Dunedin league.
  • 1888 - Mention made of Roslyn & Kaikorai Hotel in 1888 street directory around area of the old brick Roslyn Fire Station site.
  • 1889 - The Kaikorai Baptist Church at one time, about 1889?, set up a building just south of Mellor Street and almost opposite Ellis’s coal yard. However in 1908 the congregation moved up to the Roslyn township and took the building with them.
  • 1892 - Argyle Hotel in Kaikorai Valley Road - closed as license was refused.
  • 1897 - Kaikorai (Stuart St) cable car line was started - took 3 years to complete.

  • 1900 - First Roslyn cable car ran on the line from Ross Street to Frasers Road on 18th June.
  • 1900 - First Kaikorai line cable car ran on 9th October.
  • 1900 - Maori Hill Horse drawn trams ceased running 22nd October.
  • 1900 - Maori Hill electric tram service started on 23rd October.
  • 1901 - Roslyn Presbyterian Church opened.
  • 1904 - Maori Hill Presbyterian Church opened.
  • 1904 - Kaikorai Brass Band scores two wins Palmerston North, March 3.
  • 1906 - Bill Ellis bought the premises for W.Ellis Coal Merchants.
  • 1906 - Roslyn Cable Car route changed from Belgrave Cres and Falcoln Street to new cutting.
  • 1907 - Kaikorai Brass Band, winners of the North and South Island championship shields.
  • 1908 - Roslyn Post Office opened.
  • 1908 - Roslyn Scout Group formed. See article.
  • 1908 - The Gospel Hall congregation moved up to the Roslyn township and took the building with them from just south of Mellor Street and almost opposite Ellis’s coal yard. The original building was set up about 1889.
  • 1908 - Some of the Kaikorai Street names changed, but also a great number more in 1913. View list of various changes.
  • 1908 - [While not Kaikorai, this is worth including.] The Otago Early Settlers Museum opened in 1908 with just one room for displays. Now known as the Smith Gallery, it was a memorial to Otago’s Scottish pioneers.
  • 1912 - Frasers Road Public Baths opened 26th April 1912.
  • 1912 - Roman Catholic Church - St Mary's, Taieri Rd. Foundation stone laid 30th June 1912.
  • 1912 - Roslyn Borough amalgamated with Dunedin City on 1st November 1912.
  • 1913 - Around half of Kaikorai/Roslyn street names changed after amalgamation with Dunedin City. View list of various changes.
  • 1915 - Columba College opened.
  • 1916 - Roslyn Salvation Army Hall was opened on 26th May 1916 (closed on 21st August 1957).
  • 1917 - John McGlashan College opened.
  • 1918 - First committee meeting of Roslyn Scouts and Washers Hall secured for meetings.
  • 1919 - J. C. Mowat & Sons a family firm of contractors was founded in 1919 by John (Jack) Calder Mowat, the second son of James and Jane Mowat.
  • 1919 - Kaikorai Presbyterian Church memorial trees planted to honour fallen from First World War.
  • 1919 - Kaikorai School memorial arch proposed to honour fallen from First World War.
  • 1920 - Sutherland Hall opened in September (for Kaikorai Presbyterian Church Sunday School).
  • 1921 - The Dunedin & Roslyn Tramway Co sold its electric tram and cable operations to Dunedin City Council.
  • 1922 - Kaikorai Cricket Club was formed in 1922.
  • 1922 - Kaikorai Presbyterian Church Memorial Window unveiled 23-Apr-1922.
  • 1927 - Gilchrist & Moir Boxing School in operation - continued till 1940s.
  • 1929 - Arthur Ellis & Co opened a furnishing warehouse in Dunedin, and this development proved so successful that branches were opened in Christchurch and Invercargill.
  • 1936 - Tui Hutton - Roslyn School of Music in Highgate - moved to Ann Street after shops demolished c1949-50.
  • 1936 - Maori Hill electric tram service ceased on 23rd June.
  • 1936 - Diesel buses took over Maori Hill route on 1st July.
  • 1936 - Highgate renumbered sometime between 1936 & 1942.
  • 1939? - Arthur Ellis & Co. Ltd opened - closed 1977.
  • 1939 - Kaikorai cable cars were sold to Dunedin City Corporation Transport and renumbered 121 thru 126.
  • 1947 - Kaikorai cable cars - last one ran on 31st July.
  • 1947 - Diesel buses replace Kaikorai Cable Cars (view route taken while Stuart Street Extension created).
  • 1948 - The Girls Life Brigade at the Kaikorai Presbyterian Church came into being on 22nd September 1948 when the 25th Dunedin Company was formed.
  • 1948? - Ripping up the rails of the Kaikorai Cable cars after closure of route.
  • 1950 - Frasers Road Public Baths closed in September 1950.
  • 1950 - Roslyn-Wakari Football Club granted permission to use the old stables adjoining Ellis Park as a club room and pavilion. Visit their own web site 'history' page.
  • 1950 - (1950-1953 approx) Mellor Street was created.
  • 1951 - Roslyn cable car system closed on 26th October 1951.
  • 1952 - Work on Stuart Street Extension earthworks just below Highgate during the construction.
  • 1954 - The official opening of the Highgate bridge completing the Stuart Street Extension.
  • 1954 - Trolley buses ran from Maori Hill to Rattray Street from 1954 till 1972.
  • 1955 - Motorcycle Racing at Ammunition Track, Burnside.
  • 1955 - Kaikorai Pensioner Flats construction commenced.
  • 1957 - Roslyn Salvation Army Hall closed on 21st August 1957 (was opened on 26th May 1916).
  • 1957 - Roslyn Woollen Mills taken over by Mosgiel Woollen Mills.
  • 1968 - The Dunedin West Parish was formed in 1968 after talks with Kaikorai Presbyterian Church to provide services at Brockville.
  • 1969 - Kaikorai Primary School (stone buildings) demolished.
  • 1984 - J. C. Mowat & Sons closed their contracting business in the valley.
  • 2003 - Kaikorai School war memorial entrance now in Wright Street.

Other sources for finding who was where and when:
Foundation Dates and locations of churches in area.
Roslyn & Kaikorai Maps some with shop locations, etc.
Street Directory Listings for Roslyn Borough & Kaikorai
for 1950 and earlier - shows who lived where and when.