Mellor Street construction, which commenced and was completed in the 1959/60 financial year according to Dunedin City Council records.
Click photo for 2006 view.
From the DCC archives: "New Road - Kaikorai Valley: Finality was reached with Mr William Taylor regarding the purchase of portion of his property in Kaikorai Valley Road, required for the purpose of constructing a new road from Kaikorai Valley Road to Nairn Street. The proposed road will provide more direct access for traffic from Kaikorai Valley Road to Taieri Road and Wakari and vice versa, and will also avoid the sharp intersection of Kaikorai Valley Road and Taieri Road and the Kaikorai Tram Terminus. An area of 3 roods 20 poles was purchased from Mr Taylor for the sum of £550".
See also Wm. Taylor proprietor of Kaikorai Bakery , 16-18 Kaikorai Valley Road, and Wm Wilson Bootmaker, who had a small shop at the front of 25 Kaikorai Valley Road which is the lefthand cottage of the two shown in the picture above. The shop building is still there in this photograph and currently (2006) appears to be a car garage.